SAIRP policy and guidelines
1) YOU MUST HAVE A RADIATION BADGE
TO ENTER THE IMAGING SUITE!
2) BRB APPROVED ANIMALS need to be in 14F 24 hr prior to scanning or else the scans will be cancelled.
3) ALL 125I injections must be done during normal business hours: 7:30am to 5pm, and all swipes must be done, or else the investigator will lose access to the room!
4) The SCAN SHEETS with shepherd approval and notes on logistics must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org at least two (2) working days prior to scanning. It is essential that you indicate the number of animals to be scanned.
5) For scheduling, please reserve the imaging facility at least 30 minutes longer than the actual scan time. The extra time is needed to account for preparation and cleanup, and will help to avoid overlap issues with scans that immediately precede or follow your scan. Note that 1 HOUR MINIMUM WILL BE CHARGED FOR YOUR STUDY.
6) There will be no swapping of schedules unless approved by the technologists (Gilbert Green) as well as both investigators involved in the schedule switch.
7) Last minute changes to the scan protocol will not be tolerated. Any issues in scanning should be discussed with your shepherd and decided upon well in advance.
8) There is a phone installed outside PET room. Do NOT touch that phone (or the door) with gloves on!
9) DEAD animals must be clearly labeled with tracer, PI, and date of death.
POLICY FOR NIGHT STUDIES
In general, PET studies cannot be done in the evening as most of the tracer isotope will have decayed or will otherwise be unavailable. In addition, the technologists will likely not be available. On occasion, there may be a need to request scan time after regular hours and in that case the investigator must perform the tracer injection and also operate the PET or SPECT camera. In that case the investigator or study attendant must be approved by Gilbert Green to perform the study unattended. Having received such approval, the investigator may request a night time slot following the standard policy and guidelines as stated above. In addition, there are specific guidelines that must be adhered to when doing night time or otherwise unattended scans:
1) Night scans must be requested 3 working days in advance of the study.
2) Swipe tests must be done after the study ends. 14 spot checks are listed on the wall.
3) Notebooks must be filled out in detail, including animal code, animal weight, injected activity, ACQ#, and the study details (# of beds, duration, protocol used, etc) must be recorded so that the study design form can later be filled in by the technologists.
PLEASE NOTE THAT FAILURE TO ADHERE TO THESE GUIDELINES WILL JEAPORDIZE YOUR FUTURE ACCESS TO THE BRB IMAGING SUITE